Tribal Arts & Crafts Tour
North East India is home to dozens of tribes, each of which has a vibrant tradition of craftsmanship that manifests itself in unique products. Our Tribal Arts & Crafts Tour gives travellers first-hand insight into the creation and preservation of traditional handicraft forms. Learn what keeps tribal art forms alive. Meet local artisans, hear their stories and witness the creation of beautiful textiles, carvings, pottery, jewellery and other hallmark items.
Besides their contribution in agriculture activities, women in North East India are experts in weaving, a skill that plays a pivotal role in both socio-economic life as well as in preserving traditional folk knowledge. During our visits to tribal villages, see how traditional materials, designs and techniques are used in home- industry. Watch how weavers use colours and motifs as an expression of tribal folklore and share the meaning of symbols woven into bags and shawls. Tattooing, beadwork, wood-carving and pottery-making are other significant forms of artistic expression which we will experience up close and personal while we explore the region.
DAY 1 : ARRIVAL IN GUWAHATI
On arrival at Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi Int’l Airport be met by your Holiday Scout representative. Transfer to hotel. In the evening visit Kamakhya Temple and embark on a sunset boat cruise on the Brahmaputra River that features an authentic Assamese Thali for dinner. Overnight in Guwahati.
DAY 2 : GUWAHATI to NAMERI (209 Kms)
After breakfast we drive to Suakuchi village, a sleepy hamlet that displays the culture and traditions of Assam in its best form. The weaving village is best known for its skills and craftsmanship in producing one of the best kinds of silk in the state. Stop for lunch on the way before crossing the mighty Brahmaputra River. On arrival in Nameri visit Boro and Miri tribal villages. Check-in at hotel. Overnight in Nameri.
DAY 3 : NAMERI to ZIRO (275 Kms)
After breakfast we drive to Ziro Valley, a UNESCO Heritage site. Stops along the way include typical Assamese tea gardens, Itanagar Museum, Itanagar Monastery, the tribal market in Naharlagun and Tago village where we visit a Nyishi tribal longhouse. On arrival in Ziro, check-in at hotel. Overnight in Ziro.
DAY 4 : ZIRO
Full day spent in Ziro experiencing various handicraft forms practiced by the indigenous Apatani tribe.
DAY 5 : ZIRO to MAJULI (180 Kms)
After breakfast we drive to Majuli, Asia’s largest riverine island. On the way we cross the Brahmaputra River by ferry. Check-in at hotel. Evening spent at your leisure. Overnight in Majuli.
DAY 6 : MAJULI
Full day spent in Majuli experiencing various handicraft forms practiced by the indigenous Mishing tribe.
DAY 7 : MAJULI to SIBSAGAR (84 Kms)
After breakfast we drive to Sibsagar, capital of the Ahom Kingdom, one of the longest enduring kingdoms in Indian history. Not even the Mughals could conquer them. On arrival, check-in to hotel. Later in the afternoon we visit the Ahom ruins. Overnight in Sibsagar.
DAY 8 : SIBSAGAR to MON (110 Kms)
After breakfast we drive to Mon, headquarter of Mon District, Nagaland. On the way we visit Shiv Mandir and a Konyak tribal village. Enjoy the panoramic route and stop for photographs. Check-in at hotel. Overnight in Mon.
DAY 9 : MON
Full day spent in and around Mon experiencing various handicraft forms practiced by the indigenous Konyak tribe.
DAY 10 : MON to KAZIRANGA (270 Kms)
We make an early start and drive to Kaziranga National Park. Check-in to lodge. Overnight in Kaziranga.
DAY 11 : KAZIRANGA
Early morning before breakfast, we take a guided elephant safari. Return to the lodge for a leisurely breakfast followed by a jeep safari in Western Ghat. Lunch is at the lodge. Then we take an afternoon jeep safari in Eastern Ghat. In the evening, witness folk dances of the indigenous Assamese T-Tribe. Overnight in Kaziranga.
DAY 12 : KAZIRANGA to GUWAHATI (215 Kms)
According to individual flight schedules, drop at the airport. TOUR ENDS.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in double occupancy (single occupancy attracts a 15% supplement)
- All Meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Tea and Dinner)
- Drinking water
- Transfers to and from the airport
- Transportation by SUV (Innova or Xylo)
- Inner Line Permit/Protected Area Permit (for Arunachal Pradesh only)
- Rafting/Camel/Elephant Safari charges
- Porters and mules during trek
- Entry fee to all parks/monuments/folk dances
- English-speaking tour guide
Prices Do Not Include:
- Any kind of personal expenses or optional tours or extra meals ordered
- Anything not specifically mentioned under the head "Prices include"
- Tips, insurance, laundry, phone calls, medication, visa fees
- Any kind of drinks (alcoholic, mineral, aerated)
- Connecting flights, trains or other conveyance
- Cost incidental to any change in the itinerary/stay on account of flight cancellation due to bad weather, ill health, roadblocks and/or any factors beyond control.
Terms & Conditions:
- Prices valid from 1st October 2016 to 31st March 2018.
- Prices valid for minimum 2 and maximum 4 pax traveling together in one vehicle.
- 50% non-refundable and non-transferrable advance payment to be deposited at the time of booking confirmation with balance due in cash on arrival.
- November to March Pangong Lake Journey will be done in one-day excursion.
- In April and October heaters will be provided in accommodation and vehicle free of charge.
- Our itineraries are conceived for adult travelers above the age of 15. Due to the remote geographical location of our tours, none is suitable for pregnant guests.
About the Guide
It was a huge stroke of good fortune that I found out about Sange Tsering - The Holiday Scout. Highly knowledgeable about the natural, historical and cultural treasures of Northeast India, well organized and committed to customer satisfaction in his approach, Sange is more than a qualified travel guide.
Given his contagious enthusiasm for discovery, Sange encouraged me to try everything and what started out as a tour quickly became a glorious pursuit of new life experiences which we found and swallowed whole for eleven straight days! Northeast India is a truly mesmerizing region, and I will surely return to travel with The Holiday Scout - the guide makes all the difference."
Erika | Austria | Solo Traveller
How to Book this Package?
For deposit within India, please use IFSC/NEFT - see bank details given on this page.
For deposit outside India, please use SWIFT remittance - see bank details given on this page.
Please note that should you decide to cancel your booking for whatever reason, your deposit will not be refunded or made transferable. The same holds true in case of no-show.
|Account Holder:||M/S HOLIDAY SCOUT|
|Bank:||State Bank of India|
|Remarks:||Please apply the funds to account 34892756900 which is maintained at your Bomdila Branch in Arunachal Pradesh|
Near Govt Higher Secondary School,
Bomdila, West Kameng District,
Arunachal Pradesh - 790001