Route to the Roots
Tawang Monastery, Mukto Village, Thembang Village, Culinary Class in Dirang, Ziro Valley and Apatani Villages, Majuli Island, Accommodation in Homestays, Storytelling and Homemade Meals
15 Nights / 16 Days
Arunachal Pradesh, Assam
DAY 1 : GUWAHATI
Arrive in Guwahati. Be met by your Holiday Scout representative and check in at Homestay. After lunch visit Kamakhya Temple, a revered Hindu shrine dedicated to Shakti, the goddess of power. Evening boat ride on the Brahmaputra River. Overnight in Guwahati.
DAY 2 : GUWAHATI to BOMDILA
After breakfast our journey into the Eastern Himalayas begins as we drive to Bomdila. En route visit Tipi Orchid Research Centre and Sessa waterfalls. Check in at Homestay. Enjoy an evening walk in Bomdila market. Overnight in Bomdila.
DAY 3 : BOMDILA
Early morning trek to Rigzin Woeseling Monastery for Tibetan Buddhist oracle reading with revered monk Sange Lama. Pause to admire awe inspiring panoramic views. After breakfast visit Bomdila Monastery followed by a short drive to Chillipam Monastery in nearby Rupa. Evening storytelling in the Homestay. Overnight in Bomdila.
DAY 4 : BOMDILA to TAWANG
After breakfast drive to Tawang. On the way, cross Sela Pass which at 13700 feet is one of India’s highest motorable passes. Stop here to take in the views of the majestic Sela Lake area. Visit Jaswant Garh, the site where the Indian Soldier Jaswant Singh put up a last stand against the marauding Chinese army in the 1962 war. Proceed to Nuranang and get a glimpse of the powerful Jang waterfall. Check in at Homestay. Overnight in Tawang.
DAY 5 : TAWANG
The day is dedicated to landmarks in and around the sacred Buddhist citadel. After breakfast visit Tawang Monastery, the world’s second largest practising Buddhist monastery. It houses rare artefacts and an imposing statue of Buddha. Proceed to Urgelling Monastery, the birthplace of the 6th Dalai Lama. After lunch, visit Thuk Choening Nunnery. Evening spent at leisure exploring Tawang market. Overnight in Tawang.
DAY 6 : TAWANG
After breakfast visit Khinmey Monastery and Mukto village which is village inhabited by Monpa tribals who are known for their traditional papermaking craft. On the way back, stop at an iron chain suspension bridge or Chag-Zam that is estimated to be almost 600 years old. Spanning more than 100 meters across the Tawang River, it represents a rare and remarkable architectural achievement. Afternoon storytelling in the Homestay. Overnight in Tawang.
DAY 7 : TAWANG to DIRANG
After breakfast drive to Dirang. On arrival check in at Homestay. After lunch visit the 9th century fortress or Dzong and the quaint adjoining village. Stroll at your leisure. Evening culinary class featuring momo, the world-famous crescent shaped dumpling. Overnight in Dirang.
DAY 8 : DIRANG
After breakfast visit Thupsung Dhargyelling Monastery, picturesque Sangti Valley and Thembang, an ancient fortified village with high historical and cultural significance. After lunch storytelling in the Homestay. Overnight in Dirang.
DAY 9 : DIRANG to ITANAGAR
After breakfast drive to Itanagar, capital of Arunachal Pradesh. On the way visit Nag Mandir at Kaspi Village also famed for its mountain cliffs which house numerous beehives. On arrival check in at Homestay. Afternoon spent at leisure. Overnight in Itanagar.
DAY 10 : ITANAGAR to ZIRO
After breakfast we begin our journey to Ziro Valley which is known for its scenic beauty and for the amazing people that call it home. En route visit Itanagar Monastery and museum, Naharlagun local market, and a Nyishi tribal village. Check in at Homestay. Overnight in Ziro.
DAY 11 : ZIRO
After breakfast meet the local Apatani people and learn about their daily life and culture. Experience tribal delicacies, walk among uniquely cultivated paddy fields and meet a generation entrenched in tradition. Also visit Ziro craft centre and local market. Overnight in Ziro.
DAY 12 : ZIRO
The day allows us to explore more Apatani villages. Also pay a visit Ziro viewpoint. After lunch storytelling in the Homestay followed by a performance of folk dances. Overnight in Ziro.
DAY 13 : ZIRO to MAJULI
After breakfast we head for Assam and specifically to Majuli, the worlds’ largest inhabited river island located in the Brahmaputra and famed for its scenic beauty. On arrival check in at Homestay and visit a Mishing tribal village. Overnight in Majuli.
DAY 14 : MAJULI
After breakfast visit a mask making workshop, pottery village and Satra, an ancient Hindu Vashnavaite monastery and centre for art. Here witness a folk dance performed by resident monks. Afternoon storytelling in the Homestay. Overnight in Majuli.
DAY 15 : MAJULI to GUWAHATI
Early Morning ferry and drive to Guwahati. Check in at Homestay. Overnight in Guwahati.
DAY 16 : GUWAHATI
Drop at the airport for onward journey. TOUR ENDS.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in double occupancy (single occupancy attracts a 15% supplement)
- All Meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Tea and Dinner)
- Drinking water
- Transfers to and from the airport
- Transportation by SUV (Innova or Xylo)
- Inner Line Permit/Protected Area Permit (for Arunachal Pradesh only)
- Rafting/Camel/Elephant Safari charges
- Porters and mules during trek
- Entry fee to all parks/monuments/folk dances
- English-speaking tour guide
Prices Do Not Include:
- Any kind of personal expenses or optional tours or extra meals ordered
- Anything not specifically mentioned under the head "Prices include"
- Tips, insurance, laundry, phone calls, medication, visa fees
- Any kind of drinks (alcoholic, mineral, aerated)
- Connecting flights, trains or other conveyance
- Cost incidental to any change in the itinerary/stay on account of flight cancellation due to bad weather, ill health, roadblocks and/or any factors beyond control.
Terms & Conditions:
- Prices valid from 1st October 2016 to 31st March 2018.
- Prices valid for minimum 2 and maximum 4 pax traveling together in one vehicle.
- 50% non-refundable and non-transferrable advance payment to be deposited at the time of booking confirmation with balance due in cash on arrival.
- November to March Pangong Lake Journey will be done in one-day excursion.
- In April and October heaters will be provided in accommodation and vehicle free of charge.
- Our itineraries are conceived for adult travelers above the age of 15. Due to the remote geographical location of our tours, none is suitable for pregnant guests.
About the Guide
"I'm a woman entrepreneur from Austria and run a resort in Goa, India. I have rarely followed
the crowd, have always lived curiously and am unafraid to travel alone. But when the time came
for me to explore India, I wanted someone else to put together a fascinating itinerary and look
after the logistics for me so that I could totally let my hair down and have fun.
It was a huge stroke of good fortune that I found out about Sange Tsering - The Holiday Scout.
Highly knowledgeable about the natural, historical and cultural treasures of Northeast India,
well organized and committed to customer satisfaction in his approach, Sange is more than a
qualified travel guide.
Given his contagious enthusiasm for discovery, Sange encouraged me to try everything and what
started out as a tour quickly became a glorious pursuit of new life experiences which we found
and swallowed whole for eleven straight days! Northeast India is a truly mesmerizing region,
and I will surely return to travel with The Holiday Scout - the guide makes all the difference."
Erika | Austria | Solo Traveller