Monastery & Tribal Discovery
Tawang Monastery, Sangti Valley, Tippi Orchidarium, Ziro Valley, Kaziranga National Park, Kamakya Temple
10 Nights / 11 Days
Fixed departures on 1st October 2018 and 1st March 2019
DAY 1 : Guwahati to Bhalukpong (186 kms / 5 hrs)
Arrival at Guwahati Airport and drive to Bhalukpong. On the way, visit a local market and Kamakya Temple, a revered Hindu shrine dedicated to Shakti, the goddess of power. Check-in at your hotel. Overnight in Bhalukpong.
DAY 2 : Bhalukpong to Bomdila (104 kms / 6 hrs)
After breakfast drive to Bomdila. From Bhalukpong our journey into the Eastern Himalayas begins. 20 kilometres from Bhalukpong, visit the Tippi Orchid Research Center, the premier research centre for orchids in the world and largest of its kind in Asia. The route from here features many breathtaking views of mountains, rivers and waterfalls. Stop at the famous Nag Mandir at Kaspi Village also famed for its mountain cliffs which house numerous beehives. Overnight in Bomdila.
DAY 3 : Bomdila to Dirang (42 kms / 2 hrs)
Early morning takes us on a 35-minute walk through town to visit a revered Buddhist monk for oracle reading. Drive to Dirang. En-route we encounter pine-clad hills. Visit the 9th century fortress and the adjoining village. Check in at your hotel. After lunch, head to the picturesque Sangti Valley, visit the quaint local village and stroll at your leisure. Proceed to Chug village to witness local Monpa dances (Monpa is one of the major tribes of the state). The road to this hamlet was only built in 2013, making it largely unexplored. Overnight in Dirang.
DAY 4 : Dirang to Tawang (144 kms / 6 hrs)
After breakfast, drive to Tawang. On the way, cross Sela Pass, which at 13700 feet is one of India’s highest motorable passes. Stop here to take in the views of the majestic Sela Lake area. Visit Jaswant Garh, the site where the Indian Soldier Jaswant Singh put up a last stand against the marauding Chinese army in the 1962 war. Proceed to Nuranang and get a glimpse of the powerful Jang waterfall. Check-in at your hotel. Overnight in Tawang.
DAY 5 : Tawang
After breakfast, head to Tawang monastery, the world’s second largest practising Buddhist monastery. It houses rare artefacts and an imposing statue of Buddha. Proceed to Khinmey and Urgelling Monasteries, the latter being the birthplace of the 6th Dalai Lama. After lunch, also visit Thuk Choening Nunnery. Spend the evening at your leisure and explore the markets of Tawang. Overnight in Tawang.
DAY 6 : Tawang to Bomdila (186 kms / 7 hrs)
Following an early morning breakfast, begin our journey back to Bomdila. On arrival, visit the twin monasteries of Bomdila and the local market. Overnight in Bomdila.
DAY 7 : Bomdila to Itanagar (286 kms / 8 hrs)
By afternoon arrive in Itanagar, capital of Arunachal Pradesh. Visit Itanagar Museum and Itanagar Gompa. Check-in at your hotel and freshen up. Afterward, visit an Adi house (Adi is one of the major tribes of the state). Experience a traditional Adi-style dinner accompanied by Adi folk dance. Overnight in Itanagar.
DAY 8 : Itanagar to Ziro (112 kms / 5 hrs)
After breakfast, drive to Ziro. On the way, stop at famous Assam tea gardens, Nyishi village (Nyishi is the largest tribe of the state). Ziro valley is known for its scenic beauty and for the amazing people that call it home. Here you will experience tribal delicacies, walk among uniquely cultivated paddy fields and meet a generation entrenched in tradition. Check-in at your hotel. Overnight in Ziro.
DAY 9 : Ziro
Spend the full day in Ziro sight-seeing. After breakfast, visit the Ziro market. Then proceed to the Apatani village (another tribe of the state). After lunch, visit the town’s craft emporium and museum. In the evening watch and take part in Apatani folk dance. Then meet the local shaman and receive his prayers for a safe journey. Overnight in Ziro.
DAY 10 : Ziro to Kaziranga (284 kms / 7 hrs)
Early morning drive to Kaziranga, the famed national park which is home to a variety of animals from the Indian Rhino to the Bengal Tiger. Check in at your hotel and stay overnight in Tezpur.
DAY 11 : Kaziranga to Guwahati (186 kms / 5 hrs)
Early morning elephant ride. After breakfast and according to your flight schedule, drop at the airport for onward journey. TOUR ENDS.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in double occupancy (single occupancy attracts a 15% supplement)
- All Meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Tea and Dinner)
- Drinking water
- Transfers to and from the airport
- Transportation by SUV (Innova or Xylo)
- Inner Line Permit/Protected Area Permit (for Arunachal Pradesh only)
- Rafting/Camel/Elephant Safari charges
- Porters and mules during trek
- Entry fee to all parks/monuments/folk dances
- English-speaking tour guide
Prices Do Not Include:
- Any kind of personal expenses or optional tours or extra meals ordered
- Anything not specifically mentioned under the head "Prices include"
- Tips, insurance, laundry, phone calls, medication, visa fees
- Any kind of drinks (alcoholic, mineral, aerated)
- Connecting flights, trains or other conveyance
- Cost incidental to any change in the itinerary/stay on account of flight cancellation due to bad weather, ill health, roadblocks and/or any factors beyond control.
Terms & Conditions:
- Prices valid from 1st October 2016 to 31st March 2018.
- Prices valid for minimum 2 and maximum 4 pax traveling together in one vehicle.
- 50% non-refundable and non-transferrable advance payment to be deposited at the time of booking confirmation with balance due in cash on arrival.
- November to March Pangong Lake Journey will be done in one-day excursion.
- In April and October heaters will be provided in accommodation and vehicle free of charge.
- Our itineraries are conceived for adult travelers above the age of 15. Due to the remote geographical location of our tours, none is suitable for pregnant guests.