Aoling & Mopin Festival and Kaziranga Tour
Mon , Basar, Along, Daporijo, Ziro Valley, Kaziranga National Park
12 Nights / 13 Days
Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Nagaland
Duration: 31 March 2017 – 12 April 2017
AOLING FESTIVAL: The Konyak Nagas celebrate the arrival of spring with their festival, Aoling. This festival stretches for six days and is held in the first week of April which also marks the start of the Konyak New Year. During Aoling the Konyaks perform different rituals like animal sacrifices, agriculture related activities, dancing and feasting. One day is also reserved for cleaning the houses and the village.
MOPIN FESTIVAL: The Adi Gallongs in the Along-Basar-Bame area celebrate the Mopin festival during the first five days of April. Mopin is thought to bring wealth and prosperity to the households as well as to the village. It is also believed to drive away evil shadows and to spread the blessing of God for universal happiness. The Adi Gallong villages come alive with the dancing and chanting of their rhythmic songs made livelier by smearing rice powder on each other’s face. The village folk don their traditional costumes and organize the amazing 'popir dance', expertly performed by the female folk. They form a circular queue and one group assembles themselves and chants folk songs, while the other complements this with dancing, keeping to the beat of the songs.
KAZIRANGA NATIONAL PARK: A world heritage site, the park hosts two-thirds of the world’s Great One-horned rhinoceros. Kaziranga also boasts the highest density of tigers among the protected areas in the world and was declared a Tiger Reserve in 2006. Though sighting of tigers is difficult because of the tall grasses that provide excellent camouflage, their presence can be felt everywhere by way of pug marks, kills and territorial markings. The park is also home to large breeding populations of elephants, wild water buffalo and swamp deer.
DAY 1 : 31 Mar 2017: ARRIVE in DIBRUGARH
Arrival at Dibrugarh. Be met by your Holiday Scout representative and transfer to your hotel. Overnight in Dibrugarh.
DAY 2 : 01 Apr 2017: DIBRUGARH to MON (150 kms / 5 hrs)
Drive to Mon in northern Nagaland. Check into hotel/lodge, basic but comfortable. In the afternoon, visit nearby Mon village. Today is the first day of the AOLING festival.
DAY 3 : 02 Apr 2017: DAY TRIP to LONGWA & LANGMEANG
Early start today as we drive to Longwa on the India-Myanmar border to observe the festival there. Experience the rural atmosphere of palm-roofed Konyak houses and encounter old village folk with tattoos on their faces and bodies. From here we drive to Langmeang village. Evening in Mon to enjoy the festival.
DAY 4 : 03 Apr 2017: MON
Full day spent sightseeing
DAY 5 : 04 Apr 2017: MON to DIBRUGARH
After breakfast drive to Shangnyu and visit the traditional Konyak village. Drive back to Dibrugarh.
DAY 6 : 05 Apr 2017: FERRY ACROSS BRAHMAPUTRA RIVER to ALONG (1 hr ferry, drive 180 kms / 7 hrs)
Early morning board a ferry and sail across the mighty River Brahmaputra. Then drive to Along in Arunachal Pradesh. Brief entry formalities at the Assam – Arunachal Pradesh border and drive on to Basar village on the way to Along. Basar is a traditional stronghold of the Adi Gallongs. See the MOPIN festival being celebrated by the villagers. Check into hotel on arrival.
DAY 7 : 06 Apr 2017: ALONG
Full day spent at Along walking in Adi tribal villages and experiencing their customs and traditions. Enjoy the Mopin festival.
DAY 8 : 07 Apr 2017: ALONG to DAPORIJO (160 kms / 5 hrs)
After breakfast, drive to Daporijo. On the way stop at Tagin and Hill Miri tribal villages. Check into home-stay near the town of Daporijo.
DAY 9 : 08 Apr 2017: DAPORIJO to ZIRO (130 kms / 4 hrs)
After breakfast, drive to Ziro. At 5000 feet, this is the highest place on this tour. Spend the afternoon visiting Apatani tribal villages and the local market. Check in at your hotel and stay overnight in Ziro.
DAY 10 : 09 Apr 2017: ZIRO
Spend the day visiting more Apatani and Nishi tribal villages, museum and handicrafts center.
DAY 11 : 10 Apr 2017: ZIRO to KAZIRANGA (360 kms / 8 hrs)
Drive to the plains in Assam. Check into hotel.
DAY 12 : 11 Apr 2017: KAZIRANGA
Enjoy an early morning elephant safari and an evening jeep safari in Kaziranga National Park.
DAY 13 : 12 Apr 2017: KAZIRANGA to GUWAHATI AIRPORT (180 kms / 4 hrs)
Drive to Guwahati airport – TOUR ENDS.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in double occupancy (single occupancy attracts a 15% supplement)
- All Meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Tea and Dinner)
- Drinking water
- Transfers to and from the airport
- Transportation by SUV (Innova or Xylo)
- Inner Line Permit/Protected Area Permit (for Arunachal Pradesh only)
- Rafting/Camel/Elephant Safari charges
- Porters and mules during trek
- Entry fee to all parks/monuments/folk dances
- English-speaking tour guide
Prices Do Not Include:
- Any kind of personal expenses or optional tours or extra meals ordered
- Anything not specifically mentioned under the head "Prices include"
- Tips, insurance, laundry, phone calls, medication, visa fees
- Any kind of drinks (alcoholic, mineral, aerated)
- Connecting flights, trains or other conveyance
- Cost incidental to any change in the itinerary/stay on account of flight cancellation due to bad weather, ill health, roadblocks and/or any factors beyond control.
Terms & Conditions:
- Prices valid from 1st October 2016 to 31st March 2018.
- Prices valid for minimum 2 and maximum 4 pax traveling together in one vehicle.
- 50% non-refundable and non-transferrable advance payment to be deposited at the time of booking confirmation with balance due in cash on arrival.
- November to March Pangong Lake Journey will be done in one-day excursion.
- In April and October heaters will be provided in accommodation and vehicle free of charge.
- Our itineraries are conceived for adult travelers above the age of 15. Due to the remote geographical location of our tours, none is suitable for pregnant guests.